The idea of a women’s chorus originated with the Appleton Business and Professional Women’s Club, which had its own chorus and felt there was a need for a group which would give all women of the city an opportunity to sing.
In 1941, a new musical organization, Appleton Women’s Civic Choral Society, was formed. More than 100 women began rehearsals. Albert A. Glockzin, who directed the Appleton MacDowell Male Chorus, also directed the women’s chorus.
Sue Appleton, chorus member from 1965-1970, designed the Chaminade logo consisting of a “C” and a special treble clef.
Before the first concert, the name “Chaminade” was selected for Cecile Chaminade, a then famous contemporary female composer and pianist. Chaminade Chorus has two letters on file that Cecile wrote to the Chorus after their concert in 1943.
According to the first program, the chorus title was Appleton Chaminade Club Chorus, admission was $0.55 and 123 women were listed as members. Long pastel formals and long white gloves were the traditional concert attire of the chorus for many years. Black blouses and trousers with a contrasting scarf make up the new concert attire.